3.5.21 :: Feels You Didn’t Know You Needed

Almost a year ago, I met a girl. My mom set us up. (They work together at the library.) One night in the kitchen, Mom gave me her phone number and said, “Abby is just the nicest.” Thus began one of the sweetest friendships I’ve formed in my 30s.

You know how they say you can count your true friends on one hand? I’m the lucky bitch who needs two—plus a foot. I’ve got an incredible, widespread quilt of girlfriends, and Abby has seamlessly stitched her way into my heart. Usually the first person to greet me when I wake up. Often the last person I chat with before bed. Definitely someone who would notice if I choked on a Beyond Burger and died in the apartment. We’ve celebrated her pregnancy and, soon, the birth of her second child. She’s directed me to some of the yummiest vegan food in Boston. She makes me scream laugh and spit out my dinner, think twice about politics and social “norms”, and blink real hard at certain shirtless social media posts. With her, I can be my silliest, most perverted, random self.

And we’ve never met in real life.

I don’t think I’m the only person to have made a close virtual friend in the pandemic, and I feel so lucky to have fallen into this special club of texting, Instagramming pen pals. Like modern day Julia Childs and Avis DeVotos, we joke that "someday" we’ll meet IRL. And with vaccines and warmer weather and our budding podcast on the horizon, I know we will. I can just see us now…racing toward one another from across a crowd of food truck stalls. She pushing a stroller. Me stumbling forward, overloaded with French breads and Mr. Buckwheat stuffies…

Who’s Mr. Buckwheat? Why, just the goblin who introduced us, bonded us, and brings great comfort on dark quarantine days. For Abby and I, you see, are two white girls (well, 1 ½ white girls) who are obsessed with Korean drama.

Talk about feels you didn’t know you needed in the pandemic.

If you like Jane Austen even a thimble-full…if you burn for romantic tension, smoldering gazes, physical glances that could shake the trees, plus nerve-wracking mysteries, hilarious virgin ghosts, eye-crossing time travel, and characters that feel like childhood friends, you need to set your Netflix search to Korean drama. A swell of choices will appear, and I urge you to dive in. But if the tide’s too rough, dip your toe into one of the beauties below to get started. I’m no expert by a long shot, but I've got about a thousand hours, Duo Lingo lessons, and 4 a.m. messages to Abby to back me up!

 

Crash Landing on You
Netflix

A South Korean heiress is literally swept up in a freak tornado that drops her—and a cow?—into North Korea, where she meets her future real-life boyfriend (#BinJin): a North Korean soldier. You’ll gasp at the unfairness of it all, cry at the push and pull, belly laugh at the men and women on either side of the DMZ, and crave fried chicken and beer. (Sigh.) This was the show that popped my K-drama cherry and changed my idea of television forever. Mom gives it two thumbs up, too!

Guardian: The Lonely and Great God
Viki

Home of Mr. Buckwheat, this drama is unlike almost anything else I’ve seen on television in its concept and execution. Gong Yoo, aka torso and oversized sweater goals, is a cursed goblin out of time. Things come to a head when a beautiful student reenters his life and he reluctantly befriends a grim reaper. Enjoy the notes of John Williams’ Harry Potter in the score, watching time travelers use FaceTime, and a bromance for the ages.

Reply 1988
Netflix

A strong theme in the Reply series is family—chosen and blood. Following five families over a decade from their small corner of Seoul, this drama had me so emotional by the end that I immediately restarted it, just so I could continue living in their sweet, playful, tightly bonded world. If you know nothing of Korean history (which I didn’t when watching), the plot revolves around cultural touchstones that defined a generation; be sure to have Wikipedia on hand! Above all, you’ll swoon for an almost unmatched love triangle.   

If you like Reply 1998, check out Go Ara’s enchanting troll cheeks, Yoo Yeon Seok’s gratuitous shirtless scenes in the name of baseball, and the second-best love triangle on record in Reply 1994 (Netflix). I also really enjoyed the NSYNC fashion realness of Reply 1997 (Netflix) and the theme song, which I sing in the shower.

True Beauty
Viki

Oh. My. God. Do I love a high school drama. And a makeover. And a love triangle. And a revenge fight with hot dogs on a stick. Did I fall head over heels for our leading lady? Did I want to put our leading man in my pocket like a baby turtle and carry him around all day? Did I cry for our beautiful, sensitive second lead? You bet your bottom dollar.   

Mr. Queen
Viki

I can’t even with a smart and funny score—let alone when it supports a great drama. Can you say 70s funk in historic Korea? That’s just the icing on the cake of Mr. Queen which puts a modern-day male chef in the body of a Joseon-era queen who is martial arts fighting to keep her king alive. It sounds insane, but, man, this was such a fun ride—if only for the cooking scenes and our leading lady doing double duty as a man in a woman…and sometimes just a woman. Kim Jung-Hyun of Crash Landing on You does it again!

What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim?
Viki

I will just say it here: Park Seo Joon is my original oppa and it’s all because of Secretary Kim. He plays an incredibly un-self-aware CEO, who, like every demi-god, doesn’t realize how good he has it with an admin/slave like Park Min Young. When she gives her notice, he sets out on a comically misguided path to woo her, and, like all K-dramas, their relationship and past come full circle.

If you love PSJ like I do, check out Fight For My Way (Viki): he is absolutely ripped in the ring, his romance with Kim Ji Won is adorable, and the second couple will steal your heart.

Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol
Netflix

For every oblivious moment our heroine sails through, there is a very caring, calculated move by our hero. I'll just say, this one destroyed me to the point that I made a video reaction of the end and sent it to Abby late one night because I just couldn't handle the feels. Plus: Mimi the dog in a red apple hoodie!

Hospital Playlist
Netflix

Created by the makers of the Reply series, HP also centers around a family, this time of college friends. You like Grey’s Anatomy? Awesome. You like eternal bonds and antics and garage bands and little boys with pumpkin-head haircuts? Even better. This one really stole my heart, and the theme song beat BTS in the Korean charts! Bonus: Season two is almost upon us!!

Strong Girl Bong Soon
Viki

Tiny but mighty Park Bo Young has been gifted with a magical, generational strength (think lifting a truck with one hand) that snags her a job as a personal bodyguard to Hyungsik, a young tech CEO. She single-handedly takes down a warehouse full of thugs and an arch nemesis she didn’t know she had, while also tracking down a sexual predator in her neighborhood. How could her new boss not fall hard and fast? (Note: Don't feel too bad for our second lead, as he was recently dropped from his latest drama after a history of school bullying was revealed. #wompwomp)  

If you love PBY like I do, you’ll want to check out Oh My Ghost! (Netflix) in which she and Jo Jung Suk of Hospital Playlist spark romance in the kitchen after PBY is possessed by a wily virgin ghost.

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo
Viki

The wooing of college weight lifter Kim Bok Joo by divine being on earth Nam Joo Hyuk is absolutely priceless. (Bonus points for watching him do tricep curls in a swimsuit.) That they then dated in real life after filming makes watching them fall in love on set and pal around with their silly sidekicks even better. #swaaaaag

If you’re like Abby and NJH is your new oppa, check out Start-Up (Netflix) in which he and Suzy get their hopes, grand ideas, and love off the ground. Featuring one of my anthems for 2020: Future by Red Velvet.

Above all, please note this is, often, family-friendly television: Most don't go beyond an American PG rating, so don't expect much skin (save Secretary Kim which made me ah-oooooh-ga!). Destiny brings everything full circle. And there's always a happy ending.

Enjoy! And let me know how you get on. xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4.17.22 :: So Sammy Together

2.15.21 :: Crack!

1.13.21 :: Death Valley